This quintessential American pie is perfect for enjoying whenever you are looking for a celebration dessert. It’s perfect for Independence
Day, Memorial Day or Superbowl so enjoy!
Ingredients: Tart Cherry Pie Recipe
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp almond essence
Pastry: Tart Cherry Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 5-7 tbsp water (cold)
- In a pan, combine the sugar with the cornstarch.
- Gradually stir in the cherry juice until silky smooth and bring to boil. Cook while stirring until thickened, for approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cherries followed by the cinnamon, nutmeg and almond essence. Set to one side. tart
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the salt and cut in the shortening until a crumbly consistency.
- Gradually add the cold water while tossing with a metal fork until a ball-shape begins to form.
- Divide the dough into two portions, one a little bit larger than the other.
- On a lightly floured, clean work surface, roll the larger ball out to cover a 9″ pie plate. Trim the pastry edges, so they are even with the pie plate.
- Add the filling to the crust.
- Roll the remaining dough out and make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute the pastry edges.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 375 degrees F and bake in the oven until the crust is golden, for an additional 45-50 minutes.
- Set aside to cool on a wire baking rack before serving.