A crunchy crust works perfectly with a creamy, tangy orange and lemon filling.
Ingredients: Sour Citrus Pie Recipe
- 5 ounces animal crackers (any brand)
- 3 tbsp sugar Pinch salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (grated)
- 6 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp orange zest (grated)
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream (chilled)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp orange zest (grated)
Directions: Sour Citrus Pie Recipe
- Preheat the main oven to 325 degrees F. Place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- For the crust: Add the crackers, sugar, and salt to a food blender or processor and process for 30 seconds, until finely ground.
- Add the melted butter and pulse 7-8 times, until incorporated.
- Transfer the crumbs to a 9” pie dish.
- Using the base of a dry cup, firmly press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish.
- Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until fragrant and beginning brown.
- Set aside to completely cool for half an hour.
- To make the filling: In a bowl whisk the milk, orange juice concentrate, egg yolk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and orange zest until entirely combined.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake the pie in the oven until the center slight jiggles when gently shaken, this will take between 15-17 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer to the fridge to chill for 3 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, whisk the cream with the sugar and orange zest for 2-4 minutes, until soft peaks begin to form.