Rhubarb grown in Alaska can grow to as much as five feet in height!
Serving Sizes: 6-8
Total Prep Time: 1hour 35mins
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb (sliced)
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp quick-cook tapioca
- 1 large-size egg
- 2 tsp water (cold) Pastry for
- 1 (9”) double crust pie
- 1 tbsp butter Custard (to serve, optional)
- Add the rhubarb to a colander.
- Pour boiling water over the rhubarb. Drain.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar with the flour and tapioca.
- Add the drained rhubarb, tossing to coat evenly.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- In a small size bowl, whisk the egg together with the cold water and stir into the rhubarb mixture.
- Preheat the main oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a clean, lightly floured kitchen surface, roll out one half of the dough into a circle of ⅛” thickness. Transfer to a 9” pie plate.
- Place the dough circle over the filling, trim, seal and flute the pastry edges. Cut a few slits in the top of the pie to allow the steam to easily escape.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature setting down to 350 degrees F and bake in the oven for between 40-50 minutes, until the crust is golden and the fruit bubbles.
- Allow to completely cool on a wire baking rack.
- Serve with custard and enjoy.