Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for passion fruit, and this pie is light, airy and super fruity.
Serving Sizes: 8-10
Total Prep Time: 8hour 50mins
Ingredients: Lilikoi Chiffon Pie Recipe
1 (9”) single pie crust
Filling: Lilikoi Chiffon Pie Recipe
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp granulated gelatin
- 4 eggs (separated)
- ½ cup fresh passion fruit pulp (including seeds)
- ½ cup passion fruit juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- ½ tsp salt
Frosting: Lilikoi Chiffon Pie Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Fresh passion fruit pulp with seeds (to garnish)
Directions: Lilikoi Chiffon Pie Recipe
- For the filling: Set a pan over moderate-high heat and bring to steady simmer. Reduce the heat a little and continue to simmer.
- In a small-size bowl, add the water and scatter the gelatin over to soften.
- In a bowl that will sit on the pan of simmering water whisk the egg yolks until light in color and thickened.
- Add the passion fruit pulp and juice, along with ½ cup sugar and salt.
- Set over the pan of simmering water, whisking until thickened, for approximately 8-10 minutes. Take care to continually stir to prevent the egg from scrambling.
- Add the softened gelatin, stirring until entirely melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cook until the mixture is thickened and a little congealed on top.
- Whip the egg whites until frothy and gradually add in the remaining sugar and whip until stiff peaks begin to form and the meringue is glossy.
- Fold into the passion fruit mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and chill in the fridge overnight.
- To make the frosting: Use the same double boil method as for the filling by setting a pan of simmer water over the stove and in a bowl that fits the pan but doesn’t touch the water.
- Using a hand mixer whisk the sugar with the whites, water, cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla essence for 60 seconds.
- Set the bowl over the simmering water and continue mixing on high for several minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Allow to slightly cool, and evenly spread on the top of the pie.
- Garnish with passion fruit pulp and enjoy.