Independence day patriotic pie recipe Huckleberries are the state fruit of Idaho. This pie has a buttery crust which perfectly balances out the tartness of the berries.
Total Prep Time: 1hour 10mins
Ingredients: Huckleberry Pie Recipe
- Pastry for 1 (9”) double crust pie
- 4 cups fresh huckleberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon rind (grated)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp margarine
- Whipping cream
- 2 tsp sugar
Directions: Huckleberry Pie Recipe
- Roll half of the pastry out on a lightly floured, clean work surface to an ⅛” thickness to fit on a 9” pie plate. Transfer the remaining pastry to the fridge, to chill.
- Place the huckleberries in the pastry shell.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar with the flour and spoon the mixture evenly over the huckleberries.
- Sprinkle with grated lemon rind and fresh lemon juice. Dot with margarine.
- Roll the remaining pastry out to an ⅛” thickness and lay over the filling. Trim the edges, seal, and flute. Cut a few slits in the top of the pie to ensure that steam can easily escape.
- Brush the top of the pie with whipping cream and scatter the sugar over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for between 20-25 minutes. You may need to cover the edges of the pastry with aluminum foil to prevent it from browning too quickly.