Just one mouthful of this creamy custard pie will transport you back to the days of tea-times spent with grandma.
Serving Sizes: 8-8
Total Prep Time: 4hours
- 1 (9”) single crust pastry
- 4 large-size eggs
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp almond essence
- ½ tsp salt
- Unroll the single crust and place it on a 9” pie plate. Flute the edges and transfer to the fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat the main oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line the crust with a double layer of aluminum foil and fill with baking beans.
- Bake the crust on the lower rack of the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the edges are golden.
- Remove the aluminum foil along with the baking beans and bake for an additional 3-6 minutes, until the bottom is golden. Set aside to cool on a wire baking rack.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk in the milk, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla essence, almond essence, and salt, until incorporated.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F until a knife comes out clean, for between 25-30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for 60 minutes, on a wire baking rack. Transfer to the fridge for 3-5 hours before serving.