Did you know that in 1951 Banana Cream Pie was given the honor of being named as the Armed Forces’ favorite dessert?
Ingredients: Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 large-size eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 (9”) baked pie crust
- 2 large firm, ripe bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (whipped)
Directions: Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- In a pan, combine the sugar and cornstarch along with the salt and milk until silky smooth.
- Cook, while continually stirring over moderate-high heat until bubbling and thickened.
- Turn the heat down, cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir a small-size amount of the filling into the eggs and return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook, while stirring for a couple of minutes longer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gently stir in the butter along with the vanilla essence.
- Press kitchen wrap onto the surface of
- Spread half of the custard evenly into the crust.
- Peel and slice the bananas and arrange the slices evenly and decoratively over the filling.
- Pour the remaining custard over the slices of banana.
- Spread evenly with the whipped cream and transfer to the fridge, overnight.