Ready-made pastry is super convenient, but if you prefer to make your own, then this simple recipe for a single crust pastry is the way to go.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup shortening 4-5 tbsp water (cold, as needed)
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the salt.
- Cut in the shortening to create a crumbly consistency.
- A cup at a time, add the water, tossing with a fork until a ball begins to form.
- Roll the pastry out to pit a 9” pie plate.
- Transfer the pastry to the plate and trim to approximately ½” beyond the rim of the plate. Flute the pastry edges.
- Use as required.